Camp Nou, designed in 1953 by the architects Francesc Mitjans, José Soteras and Lorenzo García Barbón, is an emblematic stadium with a privileged view of the playing field and a uniqueness that has not changed over time, something that has made it a much admired stadium for many years.
The land was bought for Camp Nou on 19 December 1950 and the first brick was laid on 28 March 1954 with work beginning on 20 July 1955. Little more than two year later on 24 September 1957 the stadium was opened with a capacity of 93,053.
Over the years Camp Nou underwent several improvements: in 1979 the wooden benches were replaced and in 1982 the side stands were extended and in 1994 the standing areas in the first tier behind the goals became seated. In 1998 the standing areas in the side stands and third tier behind the goals were also seated. In 2014 the stadium had a capacity of 99,354.